Since the first publications of this blog, we have devoted many articles to discussing the measures to be taken in order to prepare for some major cataclysmic event, such as those that turn off the lights for good and generally only happen Only once in a lifetime, when unfortunately they happen.
These measures are intended to preserve life for as long as possible, and all survivalist sites, writers and experts around the world advocate the same, almost. But the day when the sky will fall on our heads for good, it will be another story …
The ultimate test of our pre-disaster preparations would undoubtedly be to implement them. Even if it is in this event that the survivalists prepare, it goes without saying that the most experienced of all would not fail to feel then a small ball at the bottom of the throat, sign that the beginning of the game comes from To be whistled and that nothing now would be the same as before.
By definition, our stocks and equipment have been thought out and acquired in order to help us live the consequences of a disaster. They are designed to respond optimally to the various problems that might arise in such a scenario. We have water and filtration systems to be sure to have a way to drink, wash us a minimum, And stay hydrated. We store food to stay fit, keep our energy, and not suffer from hunger in case the food shops are shut down or out of supply for any kind of good reasons. We have plenty to shelter and defend ourselves, medical supplies and hygiene products. All this to respond effectively to the real and predictable problems that have always been caused by the dark periods of our history.
But what is less common to see treated are the concrete measures that should be taken immediately after the lights have gone out …
What would you do before the shops close, the riots spread , And that migrant gangs – these ” How to use them best? How can we take advantage of the time available before things get worse? How to use our awareness of the situation to our advantage ? For the purposes of this article, we will therefore proceed from the assumption that something serious has occurred. Let us say that the country has just experienced a major disorder, which affects everyone’s life. It is not a slow descent into hell of the progressive slowing down of the economy, but something brutal that every citizen can feel the consequences. It can be chained earthquakes, a wave of terrorist attacks throughout the country, followed by widespread clashes, or something of the same kind. To top it all, We can not rely on any local or national authority to assist us. What are you going to do concretely once you know?
1 minute after the end of the world
In the series of immediate actions, I see three priorities:
1) Make sure everyone is well : First of all, especially if you have a family! The first priority after a disaster strikes would be to ensure that everyone is present, and in good health. Nowadays, such a thing might prove difficult, since members of the same family often live far apart. If this is the case, there are two possibilities:
– The communications are still working and you have the possibility to contact them directly via internet or cellular. This is ideal, of course, and you can then agree directly on an action plan, especially if a grouping is essential.
It is likely that cell lines and the internet will be cut in a real chaos scenario, but one can always hope for the first few minutes. During the hurricane Katrina in the United States, calls from mobile phones were no longer working, but sending messages was still possible. If you can, make your situation known to those who are absent. Let them know where you are and how you are going. For their part, your loved ones should have received instructions from you to do the same. Calls from mobile phones were no longer working, but sending messages was still possible. If you can, make your situation known to those who are absent. Let them know where you are and how you are going. For their part, your loved ones should have received instructions from you to do the same. Calls from mobile phones were no longer working, but sending messages was still possible. If you can, make your situation known to those who are absent. Let them know where you are and how you are going. For their part, your loved ones should have received instructions from you to do the same.
The same goes for a survival group. Of course, all this seems obvious to a wise survivalist, but before throwing me a stone, stop for a moment and answer me frankly: Have you or did not planned a way to warn your loved ones if they were far away from you ? Have you at least given them precise instructions in case some cataclysmic event occurs and you are not together at this moment?
The first reflex would be for many to return home, as far as distance would allow. It is a logical and sensible decision. But what if the return home was impossible for any reason? Have you planned an alternative drop point, Or a rallying place?
These are points to which I invite you to think seriously, depending on your family and professional situation. Remember that depending on the situation, it could happen several days before you are able to gather everyone or to hear from each other.
2) Estimate the level of danger to the family and the place of life : Assuming that you are where you had planned to be in a crisis – ie in an ADB for supporters of Evacuation, or at home for others – what are the security challenges? Are you in an urban area with a dense population and the likelihood of riots in the vicinity? Have these already started? Or even, Do you live in the immediate vicinity of this nuclear plant that has just been plasticized? Or a gigantic fire approaching at full speed?
What are the immediate prospects, and those to come in the short and medium terms? The answers you will bring will depend on your awareness of the situation, your experience, and your intelligence. They will condition the next step.
3) Estimate whether the position is / will be tenable or whether to leave : You have not evacuated yet, but would you be able to do it if necessary? What about the state of the roads? Do you have a safe place to go? Do you have a ” A vehicle in working order and sufficient fuel to transport you and your equipment? Do you know exactly what to take? In that case, are these things ready to be shipped in a minimum of time?
These simple questions are essential for those with family, and whatever your decision, be sure that it will have serious consequences.
If you do not have everyone on hand, then you may be forced to wait. You can not leave by leaving yours behind you, unless you have agreed in advance to a rallying point. It is important to discuss this possibility first with all those who have to accompany you and to establish a precise plan . Everyone has to know exactly what to do according to the various parameters (distance, break of communication, etc.). In any case, not having everyone on hand is a source of problems, and you should legitimately expect a few surprises …
5 minutes after the end of the world
1) Gather information : If the TV or radio is still working, then you should try to collect as much information as possible about the crisis and its progress. A CB radio would always be useful if the official media were silent or even (and especially) if they were still causing … But such equipment is rather rare among survivalists, besides it requires a certain practice.
2) Talking with neighbors: Always with the aim of gathering information. This can be beneficial in several respects. Perhaps you have never spoken to your neighbors yet, but this tragedy has thrown everyone on its lawn. This is not the time to wear your Rambo outfit, but to talk to those around. Do they have information, rumors or news to share? Did you get information about your post or your CB yourself? Are there neighbors who need special assistance? It is good to know all these things as quickly as possible, as you might well have to deal with them in some way or another in the near future.
3) Store as much as possible : Are the stores still open? Is it still possible to do some last minute races? Can you get more fuel for your vehicle? Can you withdraw cash from the distributor? This is where having a cash supply at home makes sense, and invaluable …
If you are many, Prevents sharing of tasks. It is even recommended. You might very well let your wife retrieve the information, while you go to the local supermarket with liquid to buy the maximum amount of water and food.
All this might seem unrealistic, and yet it is not. Remember that the majority of people who are not prepared or who are not in the survivalist approach are not going to do anything . It’s sad to say, but it’s reality. People are in the habit of ignoring the evidence, through intellectual laziness or fear. Either because they believe that the public authorities will be there to help them, and that the situation will soon return to normal. This system of thought is a fact; You must, Use it to your advantage while it is still time.
In some cases, even the most dramatic, it is not unusual to see people start worrying after only a few days or even a whole week, leaving you so much time to refine your preparations and replenish your stocks.
2 hours after the end of the world
1) Prepare for Defensive Measures : Normally, this is something that should already be done, but after all, we are only a few hours after the end of the world. It was probably too soon to start piling the sandbags at the windows …
What specific security measures have you planned for such a scenario? What are the first things you planned to do? Personally, I would barricade the doors and windows, pull out the artillery, and put in place guard towers … If the danger were to arise for your family, what would you do on your own?
2) Discuss with the family the realities of the moment : Depending on the importance and nature of the disaster, You might have to sit around a table with your family members, and introduce them the way you think things have changed. As well as the influence of these changes on their lives. The children will obviously have questions and may not understand the new rules necessary for their safety, or the precautions of use concerning the somewhat special equipment that would have come out for the occasion.
Mischievous might present themselves, and although it is useless to panic everyone, it would still be necessary to explain the sad reality of things, especially those among the least pleasant that could happen. What should they do if one or more strangers knock on the door? What should they say if other people, Such as neighbors, asked them if they had any food? Why can not they go out alone? Why does Mom walk around the house with a Glock on her belt? And many more…
1 day and more after the end of the world
1) Re-evaluate everything we thought we knew based on new realities : After a major disaster, it is hard to imagine that things can become “normal” again for some time. Or that the situation is miraculously arranged without panic and collective hysteria, probably also violence, having manifested itself at one time or another. Every new day will force you to forget the situation of the day before and think about how things have changed since then . Each interaction with one or more people may have affected your life. Unless you really live far from everything, I doubt that you can quietly make your garden, collect the eggs in your chicken coop, And cook the reserves you will have stored while the rest of the world is struggling to survive.
Remember, this garden that you planned to do in the spring … Now, there is much less time to do it, or maybe it’s not the season anymore. In practical terms, your stocks are what you could have built up before the collapse, or in the hours that followed. Are you going to work today? What equipment can you charge with your solar charger? Are you going to use the remaining fuel for the car or the generator? Is it protected where it is, or can someone steal it easily? Are the doors and windows barricaded, or are you unaware of what is happening at the door,
I hope most of you will be able to sit down and answer all these questions quietly, because you will have developed some plan in advance that takes these considerations into account. You have big reservations, you live in a retired zone, and your gun is already accompanying you in each of your movements? Good. Personally, I think that even with years of preparation, it will always be necessary to provide a little margin for some sprains of last minute …
A kind of friends or cousins who would come from far to visit you, and would find themselves stuck The next day. Can you decently send them home? And what if the situation required you to evacuate your home, Where to go, and that you can carry only a limited number of things with you?
Preparation consists of thinking, planning and anticipating the occurrence of unpleasant events . In the best of scenarios, we would be able to hold the shock with what we could have learned and store, grow or manufacture. This could give us an advantage over our neighbors, but this advantage could also end up being much finer than we thought.
We are doing our best to prepare ourselves now, but it is useless to tell stories; We will all have to “do with” the day the lights go out.
Is it going to happen the way you planned it.